Driving in cold weather – particularly in conditions with snow, sleet, freezing rain, or icy roads – requires diligence, alertness, and a bit of preparation. Get ready for colder weather with these tips:
FOR YOUR VEHICLE
- Conduct a thorough inspection of your vehicle’s hoses, belts, pumps, spark plugs and plug wires, replacing any that are old, cracked, loose, or in otherwise poor conditions. These parts are affected by low temperatures, and can become brittle and break.
- Check your vehicle’s antifreeze and bring to proper level.
- Check windshield wipers and replace if necessary.
- Fill your windshield wiper reservoir with a wintertime mix to keep windshield wipers from freezing.
- Check air pressure in all tires.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full at all times.
- Replace any tires with worn tread. (Remember, when driving in snow, your tires are just barely grabbing the road.)
- Have your vehicle’s battery and charging system checked for optimum performance.
- Check your vehicle’s heater and defroster. (Do this before it gets cold.)
- Have your brakes inspected.
- Considering a tune-up? Get it done in the fall before temps drop, rain falls, and roads freeze.
- Allow yourself extra time for driving anywhere when road conditions are less than optimal.
- Do everything – acceleration, turning, braking – slowly and gently. Rapid movements lead to skids and loss of control.
- Leave plenty of distance between you and other cars.
- Drive as if there were eggs on the bottoms of your feet – step on the gas and the brake pedals so gently that you don't break the eggshell.
- Keep snacks, a bottle of water, a blanket, and a good book in your vehicle in case of a breakdown. They won’t help fix your car, but will keep you warm and well while waiting for a tow truck.
- Keep the phone number of Hawk's Prairie Automotive in your wallet and glove compartment!
Mon: 07:30 AM - 06:00 PM
Tue: 07:30 AM - 06:00 PM
Wed: 07:30 AM - 06:00 PM
Thu: 07:30 AM - 06:00 PM
Fri: 07:30 AM - 06:00 PM
Sat: 08:30 AM - 05:00 PM
8045 Martin Way E
Lacey, WA 98516
In Business Since 1985